Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Down on the Riverwalk

To continue with the crazy busy month of July, I attended a Noel-Levitz enrollment management conference in San Antonio the 21st through 23rd. Miss Tay spent some quality time with her dad and Dave was able to get off so we made a no-kids getaway.


We stayed at the Mariott Rivercenter, which was totally awesome while we were there but it's been a nightmare dealing with them getting the right invoice, state tax removed since Baylor is tax exempt, etc. It was a lot of fun even though we were totally ready to get home and settle back into our boring routine once it was over.

The first day we had lunch at Subway (I know, way outside of the box, right?) before I began a long afternoon of sessions. They were good but I wasn't finished until 6:30pm so it was just a whole lot of goodness packed into half a day.

While I was working, Dave hit the riverwalk and found that he could purchase beer for only $2/bottle. Where, you might ask? What kind of great happy hour did he find?

None - my man was doing his shopping at the CVS Pharmacy. One beer at a time. And then strolling along the riverwalk enjoying one purchase after another. Now how many girls can say that?

Only a lucky few, that's who. :-)

Anyway, after I finished up at the conference we had dinner at Landry's (fabulously yummy) and then hit a piano bar called Durty Nelly's. It was an irish pub. Very quaint. Lots of friendly people. Good margaritas. Great piano players. What more could a girl ask for?

Apparently just one more thing - you see, my man leaned over to me toward the end of the evening and, I KID YOU NOT, uttered this phrase: "I just knew you'd love it here. Every woman I've ever brought here thought it was great!"

My reaction? "I truly AM the luckiest girl in the world, aren't I?"

For those of you who know Dave, that little exchange came as no surprise. Just another day in paradise for the two love birds. It works for us - don't knock it!

Moving on - we headed back to the hotel about 9pm and hit the sack. In a down feather paradise that the Mariott apparently calls a bed. Dave spent most of the next morning trying to figure out how we could get it downstairs and strap it to the top of the car.

Didn't quite work but it was a nice thought.

I headed back to the conference early the next morning but was able to enjoy a great lunch with my man at Lone Star Cafe. We then spent the rest of the lunch hour at the Alamo. I'd been once a long time ago but wanted to see it as an adult. And I'm glad I did.











You can't take pics inside the Alamo but I thought we got some good shots of the outside. Here's the kicker - it never occurred to me the type of reaction my born and bred Texan husband would have to this experience. As we were leaving he said, "It always pisses me off when I walk through the Alamo."

This Louisiana girl has taken note, my friends...

That evening we enjoyed another San Antonio staple - the river cruise. This is something else I hadn't done in years but it was a lot of fun. A lot of HOT fun but fun all the same.

See?









The best part? This little sightseeing adventure didn't make my man mad. Score!

Then we hopped on the trolley and headed to what we consider a San Antonio must-do - a trip down to the market to eat at Mi Tierra. Seriously, y'all, it gets better every time I go.

We spent some time shopping before eating because Miss Tay had been promised some souvenirs. Apparently I was feeling a bit guilty for leaving her behind because, before I knew it, I had purchased her the flowered hair wreath I'd gone looking for AND a dozen confetti filled eggs.

Seriously?!?!

And she loves them, thankyouverymuch.


Mi Tierra really went all out for the summer (or perhaps it's just left over from Fiesta) because the decorations were all kinds of sparkly goodness. And you know how I love me some sparkles, right?



I had Dave purchase a little dessert from the bakery while I took pictures making it look like he was the sweet eater. (He's totally not. Prefers salt. It's an illness.) I picked out what I thought to be a fruit tart but turns out it was just moist white cake topped with fruit. It wasn't what I was expecting but I still managed to eat half of it about 10 o'clock that night. 

Because that's what you do when you're out of town.

Then we hopped back on the trolley and made it back to the hotel. 

The next morning I headed down bright and early again while Davey slept in. It was a rough week for him. Obviously.

After wrapping up sessions in the early afternoon, we headed back in time for Miss Tay to come home. A short but fun getaway. But we totally missed our dogs. And kiddo. And, for some reason, I wanted to get home and do some housecleaning.

Again, it's an illness. Or I've turned into my mother. Not sure which...either way, the result was a clean house so I suppose one should not complain.

That's it.

The end.

0 comments: