Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Third Grade in Review

Y'all, my baby finishes third grade today. I cannot believe how quickly times is passing by. Seems like just yesterday we brought her home and I was fumbling around trying to figure out how to keep my sweet angel from screaming long enough for me to make lunch, do a load of laundry or sterilize a few bottles.


Oh, how I love this little girl although she's just not that small anymore. In fact, as she finishes this school year, she measures in at 4'11" tall and wears a size 7.5 shoe. That's only half a size smaller than I do! Needless to say, she's a tall one and I'm already preparing myself to look up to her. Sooner rather than later.
So here are a few Mommy Observations from the last year:
  • In the last school year, Miss Taylor has taken the TAKS tests out to the woodshed - she missed ZERO questions on the reading portion and only 2, which resulted in a Commended rating, on math. This after overcoming EXTREME test anxiety. So, so proud of you, little one!
  • Dance has now gone by the wayside (it's too kiddie and boring) and we're moving full speed ahead with gymnastics. Two classes a week and one private lesson keep us busy.
  • Miss Thang learned to play the recorder, performed her first solo in the musical SuperKlaus and did a fabulous job!
  • She took her first real field trip to Inner Space Cavern and bought her own souvenirs.
  • Bugga is increasingly comical, is mature way beyond her years and has a new favorite evening hobby, which is curling up with me and Dave in the bed and watching television before bed. Truth be told, I look forward to it every day as well!
  • She experienced her first Baylor Homecoming Extravaganza, visited the State Capitol with Nana and Boppy, vacationed at Port Aransas, attended many Baylor athletic games (including jumping up and down when the Bears advanced to the NIT championship game), celebrated her 9th birthday, welcomed fall and Christmas holidays with gusto and nursed Mommy back to health after she had nose surgery.
  • She took an award-winning photo at the HOT Fair and advanced to state, won a blue ribbon at the science fair, enjoyed the Mayborn Museum and Dr. Pepper Museum, Dallas World Aquarium, Mardi Gras and an Easter trip to Maw Maw's house.
  • Golf is back in full swing (after a fall spent playing soccer) and she now enjoys going to the gym with us only because she enjoys playing in the computer lab (like there's not one at home?). Her favorite games are Toontown, Webkinz and Club Penguin.
  • This was apparently the Year of the Pickle because I couldn't keep them in the house! She also loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches "like Maw Maw makes," discovered the turkey melt at McAlister's (complete with veggies), still loves Goldfish and strawberries, and learned that she really loves lemon squares.
I honestly cannot imagine having a cooler kid than Taylor. She is the light of my life and has saved me from myself on more occasions than I care to count. I am so, so proud of you, Bugga, and can't wait to spend an action-packed summer with you before you begin fourth grade.
By the way, you might find it interesting that Miss Thang refuses to refer to herself as a fourth grader until the first day of school next year. She will be known until that time as a third-and-a-half-grader. At her request :-)...

0 comments: