Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, March 2, 2009

Did Not See This One Coming!!

So yesterday was most interesting!  Since I found out in December (when going in for surgery) that my blood pressure was high, I've been slightly (that's an understatement) obsessed with that fact and with getting it down to the point that I can get off of my meds. So far so good - I'm down to only 1/2 of a pill and my pressures are consistently just over 100/55-70. Once they are consistently just under 100 (systolic) I can try to get rid of the meds altogether. Since my nose was so obstructed that it simulated sleep apnea, our doc thinks that's why my bp is high (even though my family history is TERRIBLE) and that it should be back to normal at 6 months post-op...we're right at 3 now so it's good progress.


Moving on...so I'm so obsessed that I bought my own little machine and I ordered the larger cuff online so I could check Dave's pressures. His have always been good but I wanted to make sure this man stays around a long time. So imagine my surprise when the first time I took his it was 183/116. Seriously?!?!

So he went to the doctor today...now when I went back in December, they totally freaked me out by doing an EKG to see if my heart has sustained any damage. Because I worry about everything, I asked - even before they did it - what would happen if they found something. I was assured that it would only be a med change as they would add beta blockers to the mix. Luckily, no damage was found and I was on my way...

Dave also had an EKG today and sent me a text - a text, do you hear me? - from the doctor's office that they found he has indeed had a mild heart attack at some point. To make matters even better, he tells me that he read it himself (there's a healthcare worker for you) as it was coming out of the machine. They think it's rather old and it probably happened when he was riding bulls (ie being drug around the ring unconscious after a nasty experience in the chute) and it's probably nothing to worry about. 

I was so proud of myself because I didn't freak out at all - probably only because I already knew it would just change the treatment course...I mean, it's not like they can fix it now, right? So here's the moral of the story...breaking my nose with that dang deer rifle was a good thing because it all led to us finding out this important piece of information.

Everything truly DOES happen for a reason.

And, yes, we did have a discussion at lunch about how it being in appropriate to deliver that type of news via text. That was right after I gave him a tongue lashing for calling to tell me he couldn't have lunch with me as he was on his way to the hospital for a stat heart cath. It was his little idea of a joke. I mean, really, who would think that was funny?? 

Update: I wrote this yesterday and wanted to fess up to actually freaking out last night even though the post indicates I was cool as a cucumber. Let's just say delayed reaction. 

Tay came home with a (far) less than stellar homework paper on a subject we've discussed over and over. Once she admitted she simply wasn't paying attention, the entire weight of the day just came crashing down. I lost it and was a crying, upset mess...just felt completely helpless with Tay, Dave's situation and the fact that her teacher won't communicate AT ALL didn't help matters...but I'm all better now. I do realize it really wasn't about Tay's homework paper at all and we had a great big hugfest when she got home from gymnastics.

Dave update - so he waited until today to tell me there may be an echo or cath in his future depending on what the cardiologist has to say...so we're waiting...not patiently but still waiting. We are supposed to go see my grandmother next week so I'm praying the EKG will either be benign or the infarct is so old that they think his heart function has stabilized since. I used to work in healthcare and don't remember heart problems being something they just took care of whenever they felt like it so I'm hopeful that the fact we haven't heard anything yet is a good sign. Prayers are greatly appreciated.

0 comments: