Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

So on the map it looked like the Museum of Natural History and The Met were very close to each other. Let's just say that map was not quite to scale. We definitely walked off our hot dog lunch on the way but it was, in the end, absolutely worth it.

The interior is absolutely grand, y'all.


When you walk in, the wing to the left includes Greek and Roman art while the one to the right is Egyptian. We decided to go left first because both Tonto and I absolutely love Greek and Roman history. The sculptures were absolutely magnificent.


But there was one thing I didn't factor into the equation: my 'tween daughter around a bunch of (basically) naked sculptures. She has some questions, y'all. And we quickly made our way through all of the magnificence. :-)


We ventured upstairs where the viewing was a bit more appropriate...


...because we were on a quest to find the works of Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, Manet, Matisse, Renoir, etc.

This is Van Gogh's self portrait.


My favorite painting of the day.


In the middle we wandered into an area with modern art. These two pieces were my favorites.



Funny story about this painting - when I was in the 4th grade, there was a UIL event called Art Memory (or something close to that) and I memorized the title and artist of each one. I actually did very well because I can memorize almost anything. (Comprehension is a totally different ball of wax, y'all.)

Anyway, this was one of the paintings. It was so cool to actually see it in person!


And a little Picasso for good measure.


We also wanted to see some Egyptian artifacts so we headed back across the way...


...and found so many magnificent pieces. The craftsmanship was stunning.




Tonto and I enjoyed this stop a great deal. I don't know that the girl has that much appreciation for it yet (I didn't when I was 12) but my hope is she'll look back on the experience one day and say, "Wow - I was actually at The Met." :-)

This was the last museum of the trip as we moved on to more kid-friendly adventures.

Next stop - Dylan's Candy Bar.


0 comments: