Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Story We Didn't Want to Write

Our weekend began delightfully. We had a nice dinner Friday evening and then I attended the tea to honor our pastor's wife Saturday morning. After I came home, things began going downhill. Quickly.

We headed out to Academy so the girl could get a new softball glove for camp next week. While looking for a glove, she somehow caught an errant softball with her forehead instead of her glove. She wasn't even hit that hard but it did leave a bit of a mark so I wasn't surprised when she began complaining of a headache shortly thereafter.

Off we went to Poppa Rollo's assuming pizza would make all things better. While we were waiting for our food, I noticed she laid her head down on the table a couple of times but just thought she was tired. After she spilled her entire Dr. Pepper over the table and me, Tonto cleaned the table with the solution they normally clean tables with after people leave.

Some of the cleaning solution got into Tay's drink so she began drinking my Diet Coke. Out of my straw. Repeatedly. Thinking nothing of it, we continued along our merry way.

We dropped her off at the house to get some rest since she still had a headache and hadn't gotten much sleep between spending the night with a friend and going to VBS all last week. Once we got home from Wal-Mart, all of us took a nap.

As soon as I woke up, though, I got a text from my girl. She was in the living room. Strange, I thought...

It said, "Please come here. Now."

Uh-oh...

Off I head to the living room where she informs me that she feels terrible. Upon touching her forehead, I realize she is burning up. Fever of 101.1 degrees. But no other symptoms. So, we figured, she must have a sinus infection. After all, the allergies have been fierce this season.

After getting Tylenol on and off through the night, she was almost down to normal but was no complaining of a sore throat.

Uh-oh...

We waited for the clinic to open yesterday afternoon and were immediately treated to a strep swab, which came back negative. Unfortunately, though, when the doctor looked into her throat, he immediately declared that the swab was misinformed as she clearly has strep. An "impressive" case, from what he said.

Did I mention VBS started at our church last night?

So the girl now can't attend until tomorrow. I also can't attend because I honestly don't feel all that well and, even if I don't come down with full blown strep, could infection unsuspecting children who just want to learn more about Jesus.

If I make it until tomorrow evening with no sore throat, fever or other symptoms, I'll be clear. And both of us can attend the last two days.

So that's where we are...

Tonto is at home with the girl today and she has indicated that her sore throat is maybe a little better. She's been unable to eat much more than popsicles, ice cream and smoothies. But she finally relented, so says Tonto, and ate chicken noodle soup (which she declared yesterday was "yucky") for lunch and scarfed the entire can down. Apparently it's really hard to get full when you can't eat anything but a liquid diet. Should have seen that one coming, though, right?

So here's to hoping y'all had a much less eventful weekend than we did :-)

1 comments:

Ang said...

Gracious - at first, I thought you were going to say the sweet pea had a concussion. I'm glad it's "just" strep; at least there is medication that will help her get on the mend asap. Hope everyone feels better soon!