Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Inaugural

Sometimes things happen in my life that seem surreal. I look around and wonder why I being allowed to participate/attend an event that is absolutely momentous.

One of those experiences happened last Friday, September 17, and I didn't even have to leave work...

That's right, friends, it was the Inauguration of Judge Kenneth Winston Starr


The ceremony was rich in tradition and steeped in eloquent speeches, humor that was both perfectly timed and fitting, and was an awesome tribute to the amazing university I call both my alma mater and employer.


With representatives from many peer institutions in attendance, the Ferrrell Center floor was a sea of brightly colored regalia...


Hymns were sung by the 5,000 in attendance, scripture was recited, and Baylor's symphony and choirs brought the house down...


It was, without a doubt, one of my favorite moments as a Baylor Bear.


And I have no doubt that Judge Starr will lead us boldly forward as we live out our mission - 
Pro Ecclesia. Pro Texana.


I must admit that my personal joy was doubled (if not tripled) on this special day because I was wearing a snazzy suit my grandmother bought me years (yes, I said YEARS) ago that has actually never seen light outside of the closet. It was a personal victory! :-)


Once the ceremony was over, we headed outside for some post-Inauguration refreshments and, my friends, they did not disappoint.

The decorations were understated and elegant...


...and I had to snap a few pictures for my mom, who does many caterings each year for her hospital...


...and can I just say that Deconstructed S'mores are absolutely my new favorite dessert?

...and also that it's a good thing I don't have to wear that suit again this week... 

Sweet mercy, y'all...


It was a perfectly delightful day, my friends, and my daughter was absolutely thrilled to be presented with her own pocket version of The Constitution and Declaration of Independence that was given to commemorate the occasion.

In other news, I also attended the Presidential Symposium that morning. I'll let you guess the topic but I'll give you a hint - Friday was Constitution Day, which is a passion of Judge Starr's. I found the conversation to be thought provoking, y'all, and was amazed at how interesting this topic was for a girl who generally spends a great deal of time each morning searching for perfect balance of hair product and rhinestones.

Who knew?!?!

This proud Baylor Bear promises to return to the regularly scheduled rambles tomorrow but, honestly, I just had to share this day with you... :-)

0 comments: