Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bless Their Hearts

It began like any other Saturday.

But it was different for, you see, the calendar now indicates that it is fall. That means football season. And that changes everything.

Except, of course, for the weather. It has clearly not yet received the memo yet. 
Perhaps it was sent via snail mail?

So we donned our green and gold after a morning of running errands and headed out to Floyd Casey Stadium about 3pm. Yes, that would be the middle of the afternoon. It was 96 degrees outside and, conservatively, I'd guess it was 8,624% humidity.

Only a guess, though.

We lined up to welcome our Bears to the stadium while David Crowder's new song, "Rise Up," blared from giant speakers. The atmosphere was electric, friends, and the players were no longer the overwhelmed and amazed band of brothers we witnessed last week.

Nope. They have gotten into this whole march thing and I, for one, could not be more pleased.

With the quarterback - Robert Griffin III (aka RG3) - leading the way, we saw giant flags had been added to the line this week, which made it more like a parade. If you've been reading here more than 0.23 seconds, you know that I love anything that involves pageantry. So I was hooked.


I marveled at how large our linemen are because when they're in uniform way down on the field, sometimes they don't look like giants. Let me assure you that they are indeed young men you want on your team. They have some power and are not afraid to use it!


They are a group who works harder than I do in my dreams each and every day to prepare for moments like this. (Did someone cue the music?)


They have a singular goal - to go bowling - and they are surrounded and supported by a family of Bears.


We are young and not so...we are large and small...we are different yet the same...


...and we scream until we have no voice left with which to croak. We are Baylor fans!


And this year we are buying out entire allotments for away games. We are rising up, as some would say, to show these young men we appreciate them and will be there NO MATTER WHAT.


Their leader is fearless. And funny, which is someone I appreciate a great deal.


And there are several members of the team who I expect to see starring in some type of commercial for hair products before long. If you have ever seen one photo of me, you know that thought tickles me something fierce.


And you know what else I appreciate? That some (like Robert T. Griffin - not to be confused with RG3) can don a cap without compromising his hairstyle. That, my friends, takes a talent that I admire greatly.


We are B-U and we love these guys dearly.

And as my clothes began to stick to my body like glue within the first 5 minutes of this outdoor activity, I silently prayed that the Lord would bless them because it takes grit and determination to figure out a way to survive for several hours in 8,624% humidity while wearing a uniform that fits like second skin.

Personally, it would have taken me the entire amount of time on the clock and a crow bar (or three) to even get into a uniform of that type. You are sooooo welcome for that visual, y'all!

Bless their hearts :-)

1 comments:

Natalie said...

LOVE the pics! Am loving football season and our fantastic Bears right now!