Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, September 13, 2010

Convicted and Conflicted

What do you do when every time you stop to pray for a sick child, the poor, oppressed children, the homeless and hungry, and you hear a voice posing this question: 

Yes, but what will you do about it?

That's one I've been hearing with regularity over the past few months. You see, I spent years apart from God. Oh, I believed, but I didn't put it into practice. I didn't study His Word. I wasn't worshiping with a church family. Or anyone else for that matter.

I wasn't making sure time was set apart during the day to talk with my child about how He related to her world. To give her the needed context to grow in His love.

Nope. I didn't give it a thought.

I was so wrapped up in myself and my life that I, honestly, didn't give much attention to anything or anyone else. Yes, I was a mom who loved her child more than life itself but our kids need more than our love.

They need Him.

As we all do.

So we've spent the last year and a half getting involved with our church, spending time together as a family and deciding what is truly important to us. From Sunday School and worship services to discipleship classes and independent studies, we've run the gamut.

Now what?

That's where I am right now. 

Now that I have more (but certainly not all - that's a lifelong process that will not be complete until we actually meet our Maker) knowledge and information about what is going on in the world, what will I do about it?

There are children living in cardboard homes in a trash dump in Guatemala while I stress out over making it to Parent Night on time.

There are parents who watch their children starve to death while I'm irritated if our dinner schedule is interrupted because the dog is sick.

There are young girls and boys who are sold into slavery each and every minute of every day while I can't decide which daycare should pick up my daughter after school.

I keep reminding myself of the blessings I have because it's unfathomable to me that we can have so much more than others and still spend so much time complaining. I don't deserve it, y'all. Not one bit but I am thankful. Oh, so very thankful. 

But I'm still left with the big question of the day - what will I actually DO about it?

I'm not completely sure...but I am pondering the question....

0 comments: