Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moody Gardens, Part Deaux

Our Saturday morning in Galveston began with this beautiful view. No, I won't ever get tired of sharing these pictures in case you were wondering. :-)

We headed over to the harbor area to hit up a pancake and waffle buffet for which I had a coupon (yes, even on vacation); however, this particular restaurant clearly does not exist anymore. You can only imagine the ribbing I got for that one...and, no, it didn't come from the man...

While in that area, we checked out the cruise ship because that's what we plan to do next summer for our big vacay. That's a different story for a different time, though.
We also got to see the oil rig museum that one of Dave's friends either built or restored...can't really remember the details....it was early...you know, on vacation time anyway...
...and then we found Dave's absolute favorite place to get poboys in Galveston...or at least the place where it USED to be...sensing a theme here?
We checked out the Strand...
...and marveled about the fact that a giant who plays the trumpet clearly live somewhere around the Strand... 
Then we headed back down Seawall and mourned the loss of Davey's favorite hotel...this particular activity continued each and every time he drove by...
...laughed at the Duck Tours bus...because it just cracks me up. Every single time...
...and ended up having a fabulous breakfast at Whataburger. Original, huh?
After making the girl pose for a pic in her skirt (it even had ruffles, y'all, and I didn't have to bribe her or anything!), we decided to head down to the beach...
We frolicked for a while, enjoying the sun, the moment and each other...and then it happened.

The second jellyfish attack (if you had been on the receiving end, you'd call it that as well) of the trip. It was actually a pretty major one (think giant raised and red circle on the top of your foot and actual slits in the skin on the toes) but I didn't whine (even when my man questioned if I'd actually been stung - clearly that was before the redness).

This is also when I learned that chewing tobacco pulls the venom out of the wound. The fact that my husband puts that in his mouth every day is now a bit scarier now that I think about it but, quite frankly, I didn't mind a bit at the time.

Sitting on the shore did give me the opportunity to take some photos of my favorite people, though.
I also had some time to build sand castles with the girl...
...and then Dave looked down at my foot and saw just how swollen my toes had become and immediately decided we needed to get back to the condo for proper treatment (hot water and meat tenderizer - high tech obviously)...

The only problem was that we had chosen to walk (quite a long way) from the condo to that particular area of the beach. We thought a nice walk would do us some good. So the man walked all the way back while the girl and I lugged all of our gear up the steps and waited on Seawall for Dave to make it back. 

At one point we were admonished for "taking up the ENTIRE sidewalk" by a local who was riding his bicycle and clearing the path by waving his fishing pole (hook and all) to and fro...good times, y'all!

After a bit I was feeling much better so we headed back to Moody Gardens to take a ride on The Colonel - the paddlewheel boat. It wasn't thrilling or anything but they do make some really good smoothies ;-)
Then we headed back to the condo for a bit before returning to see the Butterfly Exhibit. Dave decided to have some quality time with Bo so it was just me and the girl. And it was fabulous - special memories!
After riding the Log Ride again and seeing the 4D Happy Feet feature for the second time, it was time for the main event - Shrek 4 at the IMAX theater. It was so good and this time I didn't get seasick. Clearly my negotiating for seats on the third row (instead of the second, thank you, Jesus) paid off...

And, because I believe in providing a good laugh for all...
After the movie we headed back to the condo to pick Dave up for a late night dinner at IHOP. Tay had been dying to try the Despicable Me menu items and her vacation was made complete as she ate ciniminions and drank sparkly lemonade at 11pm. 

It's the little things, right?

0 comments: