Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sorghum Festival at Heritage Village

We were super stoked about Labor Day (yes, I'm a bit behind posting) this year because Dave was actually off. While the arrival of multiples in the NICU threatened to take him away from us, we were blessed that others were able to work instead so we had some fabulous family fun!


On Saturday we watched the Baylor Bears beat Wake Forest - can I get a 'Sic 'em'? Sunday we headed to church and enjoyed a wonderful worship service. We, of course, ate well because that's what we do. Dave made some homemade chili so we pretty much just ate Frito pie all weekend. Does it get better than that?

We didn't have any plans for the actual holiday so our ears perked up when they featured a Sorghum Festival on the news. We headed out to Elm Mott to Heritage Village and were absolutely amazed! I had no idea there was Mennonite community so close. Or that they had such wonderful items for sale - pottery, woodworking, blacksmithing, etc.

Of course, this weekend they were making syrup (otherwise I guess it wouldn't have been called the Sorghum Festival) but it was really neat because they had horses grinding the sugar cane down before processing it. We actually make syrup where I'm from but we don't do the whole 'manual pressing of the cane with horses.' We take the easy way out.

Anyway, there's not a lot of description to go with these photos because it's just a beautiful place and that's what I was trying to capture. It was so much fun (but a little too hot) so I think my mom and I will head back out there when it's time to do some Christmas shopping.
























Happy October to you all! Miss Taylor is SOOOO excited her birthday month has begun. :-)

0 comments: