Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ready or Not, 4th Grade, Here Comes Taylor!

Last week began a very important school year for Miss Taylor. She is now a 4th grader (still trying to figure out how she's getting older while I'm not aging a day) so that means it's her first taste of ruling the school. The elementary era will end for us in May before we begin the intermediate chapter of Miss Thang's schooling.


While I'm so excited to have third grade behind us (remember with me, y'all - it was ROUGH!), it was bittersweet last Wednesday when she began her last year at Woodway Elementary. We love this school and will be very sad to move on. Well, I will be. I imagine Tay will be frothing at the bit to change schools. I remember being so excited to move to the next step - amazing how our perspective changes as we get older, huh?

Another change we've already experienced is that parents just aren't that cool in a public setting anymore. To be fair, Dave lost that status a few years ago because he kept threatening to drop her off in his cutoffs, boots and straw hat. I can't really blame her for that one. I, on the other hand, remained in the cool category until this year. Apparently there will be no more walking her in on the first day of classes.

Dave laughed at me when she told me this last Monday. I think his exact words were "And there it is."

Let's just say compassion was not one of the main attractions when we met...

Anyway, I was very sad about this turn of events. Until I saw the stinkin' parking lot last Wednesday morning!

At that point I decided it was all good. I pulled right up to the curb, dropped her off, whispered 'I love you' so I wouldn't get in trouble if one of her friends heard me, and headed off to work. We're still working on the whole 'hurry up and leave before I get in the actual building when the teacher on duty has already gone inside for the morning.' 

But that one's non-negotiable. I sort of have this fear of someone snatching her right before she entered the hallowed school hallways. Granted, given her 'tween attitude of late, they'd bring her back but I'd be a mess in the meantime.

Wow, I have certainly digressed...and I now present to you photos from the first day of school. Taken in our driveway because I was threatened within an inch of my life if the camera made it on school property.


Shoes, courtesy of Maw Maw

Super cute necklace, courtesy of Nana and Boppy

Outfit and backpack, courtesy of Davey :-)

Me? I just provided the face. Can't deny this child, can I?

Disclaimer: Seriously, I wouldn't even deny her anyway. Don't go getting any wild ideas. Regardless of my attempt at witty banter, I love this child more than life itself.

0 comments: