Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

D.A.R.E. to be Different

Disclosure: After leaving this event, I realized my camera was on the wrong setting pretty much the entire time. Therefore, the quality of these images is less than the average cell phone. Please accept my apologies. :-)

My girl has been going through the D.A.R.E. program this year as part of her Language Arts class. While I initially couldn't see a correlation between the two, it turns out that you must write an essay to graduate from the program and therein lies the relationship.

At least that's my understanding.

Which means it could be 100% wrong. 

Anyway, last Thursday was the big graduation and my girl begged me to rearrange my schedule so that I could attend. Because she's unwilling to be seen in public with me the majority of the time these days (have I mentioned that she's a full fledged TWEEN?!?!), I quickly jumped at the opportunity.

The night before she quickly informed me that I no longer needed to come. Nope - not even appearance was necessary. Clearly this was a red flag that indicated a need for prying. And I learned some delightful (to me and yet mortifying to her) information. But I'll leave you hanging for a minute...

May I present the D.A.R.E. officer?


Ok, here's your first clue as to why she didn't want me there...


It turns out that she won the essay contest for her class and had to read it - OUT LOUD AND WITH A MICROPHONE - to all in attendance. We couldn't have been more proud. She did a really fantastic job as well.


All of the respective winners received a D.A.R.E. gift bag complete with pencils and a sharpener. Her obvious delight at this gift made me question all of the purchases I've made for Christmas because it would appear we could have gotten off a lot cheaper.


But I digress.

Clearly my photography skills are mad, y'all, because I managed to get a fantastic photo of my child receiving walking off the stage after getting her diploma.


She also received a medal. Which broke before she got home. But she fixed it all by herself. With tape, no less. It's now her pride and joy, which is only fitting, because she is ours.

0 comments: