Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, November 5, 2010

Homecoming Parade

Two weekends ago we enjoyed one of my favorite traditions at Baylor - Homecoming!

I know each college and university in the nation has their own event of this type but I contend that no one does it quite like the Bears. For example, did you know Baylor has the oldest and largest parade in the nation?

It's absolutely amazing and I can't even tell you how many hours of work go into the fantastic floats the sororities and fraternities put together for this most special occasion.

Of course, the show always begins with the Baylor University Golden Wave Band (BUGWB) and the color guard. For those who don't already know, I was a member of the BUGWB color guard and may or may not have broken my nose the first time tossing a rifle in practice for said organization...



My child was clearly impressed. Yes, that's her with her head down. But at least I got a picture of her wearing a headband made out of sequins, right?


There are alumni awards given each year  as well. That's my friend Betsy's husband, Clifton, in the back of the carriage.


There are floats...


...and what parade in Texas wouldn't be complete without horses?


And more floats....




...which are so cool that even Pouty McPout-Pout thought were interesting. See?


And more floats - clearly a rite of passage at ye olde university...



...and Homecoming Queen nominees. This lovely lady is one of our student workers. Yes, she's just as sweet as she is beautiful :-)


And what would a parade be without the Noze Brothers in attendance to keep everyone on their toes?


By now, you already know, which means I don't have to say it again...


We are also home to one of the largest U.S. Air Force ROTC detachments in the country. Spiffy, aren't they?


And, because it's Texas, there were even more horses...


...and floats...


But I think the thing I love most about the Homecoming parade is that alums and friends of the University come from far and wide to show their support. And, y'all, there was even a nip in the air which made me happier than a squirrel in an acorn barrel.


But this year's edition of Homecoming was more special than most. Care to venture a guess as to why? I'll give you a hint...

Number S-I-X!

And, of course, that deserves its own special post so for now I'll just wish you a very happy fall weekend. Please pray for me as I'll be attempting to paint my girl's room. The chosen color is, well, fluorescent and there is a possibility my retinas will never be the same.

She's totally worth it, though. :-)

0 comments: