Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An Experiment

Last week we were dealing with some business-type issues that had me a bit stressed and praying for a good outcome, which ties into this though you'll have to give me a minute...


 I've been doing a lot of thinking and studying about the "portion" we've each received from the Lord. More specifically, about the thought that each of us should pour out our portion into and onto others.

And that study married up with a church and Sunday School lesson last week that focused - among other things - on the fact that we must love one another. Not just in a superficial way but really, truly loving one another. Quite frankly there are some people in my life that I don't always like much less love.

But, yet, that's the commandment.

So I've been thinking about what actually "loving" others is all about. And I don't claim to have all - or even most - of the answers but I decided to try a little experiment. 

Every time I got anxious or uneasy about what was going on in our life last week, I prayed for someone else. 

For instance, one of my friends' husbands unexpectedly lost his job last week so I did a lot of asking for peace and wisdom for that couple.

I also prayed for the family of our friend, Brandi, who recently passed away after a long battle with breast cancer.

For another acquaintance who I like but don't exactly trust.

That my grandmother would experience complete healing, that she would have peace and would be encouraged.

That my mother would have a safe trip back from Louisiana.

For my girl as the 'tween waters are difficult to navigate.

For a co-worker who was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma of the central nervous system.

And on. And on. And on.

Now that's not to say that I didn't do a lot of praying for our situation as well because I did but I honestly tried to even it out...

And you know what? 

I had complete and inexpressible joy and peace all week long. No, it wasn't perfect - though you already know that if you follow Baylor football - but it was awesome.

Which leads me to a bigger and broader question, which is why I don't just obey all of those commandments instead of exercising my own stubborn will. That's probably a post for another time, though, as I'm certain you didn't come here to read a thesis. 

Particularly a thesis without a conclusion.

So there you have it. My experiment. As it turns out, God is good. All the time. He also knows what He's talking about. All the time.

So I pray that I'll hear Him more and speak less.

(That was a chorus of Amens you just heard from the peanut gallery.)

The Lord has done great things for us and we are FILLED with joy!
Psalm 126:3

0 comments: