Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Morning After

The morning after the Great Snowstorm of 2010, which amounted to all of 3 inches of the powdery white stuff, my little one has a delayed start at school. Nothing like the fear of some semi-icy roads to scare us Texans into heading out 2 hours later than normal. Please do not take that statement, however, as disappointment because I was super stoked to hang out a bit longer with the girl.

In fact, I was feeling a bit guilty about her having to literally drag me out of bed the last time this happened (I was still recovering from the aftermath of strep, y'all, and can I just reiterate that it's not pretty when an adult get a kid disease) so I was happy to get some more snow time in after logging 4 miles and, unfortunately, learning that a former boss and very good friend had passed away unexpectedly the night before.

Tay was a bit upset that the snow had "iced over" and wasn't fluffy and powdery anymore. She also didn't care much for being on the receiving end of this type of snowball. Of course, I have no idea who would lob this type of snow missile at their child. 

Miss Taylor then decided we should take a walk up the street to "check out the scenery." Here's where she was the beneficiary of my guilt from the last time because I still only had on my workout clothes and a light jacket (you notice from the pics that she'd stolen mine again, right?)...needless to say, off we went on our cold, merry way...

After we got back to the house, she plopped herself into the snow for "just one last minute."
And then proceeded to make it "rain snow" on top of her head. Seriously, this only happens once every 20 years in Texas so I had indulged the child. And then gave her a warm shower and bundled her up. I promise.
But not before she insisted on saying a final goodbye to Marty and Bart. Pieces of whom were still around for 4 or 5 days. They were nothing if not stubborn, resilient little fellas.
But she had the time of her life.

And, quite frankly, that's all that really mattered.

P.S. Tomorrow is Dave's big surgery day and we would really appreciate it if you remembered him in prayer. This will probably be a major procedure (they won't know exactly what's going on until they get in there) and he's a guy who doesn't like to be dependent on anyone or laid up for a long period. He'll be both for 4-6 weeks so I'm praying it goes much better than I'm anticipating. No matter what, I know He will take care of us.

Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord who has compassion on you.
Isaiah 54:10