Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, December 14, 2012

Shock

Here's something you may not know about mine and Tonto's relationship: we don't exchange gifts. It may sound odd but it's very true. We've actually never exchanged gifts on a regular basis, truth be told.

There are years when I get flowers on Valentine's Day but on most I do not. There are almost always super sweet cards and gifts for the girl, though. And we don't make big deals out of birthdays, Mother's/Father's Day or anniversaries.

Do y'all think we're nuts yet?

Our philosophy is basically that we buy what we want/need during the year so we don't really NEED anything. Of course, we do spoil the girl on any and all holidays but we just usually prefer to save up and go on nice vacations each year. That's our love language.

So you can imagine my surprise when he began referencing Christmas gifts he had purchased for me and the girl last night. I honestly did not believe him. And told him so. Repeatedly. To the point that he told me specifically what he had gotten Taylor. And I still didn't believe him.

Here's another thing you should know about Tonto - he cannot keep secrets. I always do Tay's gift shopping because he'll just give her everything immediately. It's just who he is.

So before last evening was over, he had climbed up into the attic where he produced two Dillard's bags. One for me and one for the girl.

And I found this...


...while the girl got an amazing (and huge) makeup collection, case and brush set.


And I was stunned. As was Taylor. Happily stunned. But still in shock nonetheless. And completely humbled. And almost knocked over to realize - yet again - how incredibly blessed I am.

And here's what I need you to know - it's not about Coach or Elizabeth Arden. Not at all. It's about the fact that he did it all on his own. That he continues to surprise me at every turn. And that he loves us enough to purchase things he knows we want but would never buy for ourselves.

And that, my friends, is priceless.


0 comments: