Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Shootout

Last Saturday we headed out for Baylor v. Texas Tech game (aka The Shootout) at Cotton Bowl Stadium. Davey had to work so it was just the three girls (Tay, my mom and me) and Donny Boy. He's a precious man but does have one fault that is clearly visible in this photo....


He is a - gasp! - Red Raider. Yes, you read that correctly. But we decided to let him come anyway...along with Sam (short for Samantha) who was our guide for the weekend. A guide who, by the way, prefers to proceed to any and all destinations by the closest back alley route. :-)


We got into some traffic getting off to hit Fair Park that immediately reminded me why we do not live in a big city. Quite frankly, if I encounter traffic on my morning commute it throws my entire day off schedule. Clearly I do not need to move to the big city any time soon.

Anyway, we arrived at the Cotton Bowl shortly before kickoff...and the team got off to a fast start. What I did not realize is that all players on the field had take the "shootout" literally. Because it was fast and furious, y'all, as they traded touchdowns. And one very unfortunate onside kick attempt. Well, at least it was unfortunate for the Raiders.


I may or may not have made some comments such as, "Donny, did you gun misfire? Or perhaps backfire?"

Couldn't rightly say....

Tay decided to hang with my mom because she was deemed "the least crazy of the group."


This is out of order but I just wanted to say that our student athletes inspire me at every game (in every sport) because they are not afraid to pray and give thanks to God in front of the world. I should be more like them to be quite honest with you...


There was lots of banter and trying to figure out why in the world there were so many Tech fans in our section. I mean, really, get to the other side and flock with birds of the same feather. 


I could tell you how impressed I was with RG3. Or I could admit to, at one point, screaming "Give me a helmet - I can actually tackle." Or we could talk about Art Briles fighting for his team. Or the random "sideline interference" call that send my blood pressure skyrocketing.

But all of it came down to the fact that our guys were not given the opportunity to play the final 2 seconds of the game (when we were on the 15 in scoring position) because the game was called.

No, I do not understand it. Yes, I'm counting on that frustration being taken out on the Colorado Buffaloes this weekend. 

And now we will switch gears before I get all huffy again...though I am still bitter. :-)

Donny redeemed himself, though, by declaring he really couldn't even give me a hard time because "that game was handed to us."

That's true fatherly love, friends.

After the game was over (as deemed by the officiating crew) we headed out to the State Fair, which was so stinkin' crowded you couldn't even tempt yourself to stand in line for a Fried Peanut Butter Cup. That's saying something, folks.

But this cutie and I decided to head out on a bit of an adventure anyway...


We rode the Texas Skyway over to the midway and thought about riding the ferris wheel until we literally couldn't find the end of the line it was so long.


But we documented the occasion anyway...


We eventually rode a ride that was called the Mexican Hat back in my day but now it's Love Bugs. Basically we went round and round and round and round while the person on the outside gets slammed into the side of the little car. My shoulder may never be the same but the girl enjoyed it immensely.


So much so that she convinced me to ride it again. This time they did it at "turbo speed." You can imagine my delight.

Then we decided to ride the Skyway back over to the other side of the park because it was H-O-T and we are L-A-Z-Y.

The scene of the crime...


This fella was super popular, though. Everything truly is bigger in Texas apparently.


We had a few coupons left (read gold in paper form) so we decided to grab some fresh squeezed lemonade before leaving. While in line I saw this...and documented it because I was convinced it could possibly be a mirage...


Then I remembered again that I am in Texas...it was real. Very.


We made our way back to the car while my daughter continued to be mortified that I had actually spoken to two Baylor players at the fair. In all fairness, all I told them was to keep their chins up because it was a good game. Clearly it was embarrassing to a certain someone, though.


Perhaps it could all be traced back to the clerk at the hotel, though. You see, we dropped our bags off before heading to Fair Park. The very nice clerk told me, "Baylor already beat my cousin's team this year. He starts for Buffalo. Y'all embarrassed them pretty good."


Because I was feeling sympathetic, my response was, "Bless his heart. And Sic 'em!"

Clearly I was overconfident from the get go. It's something God and I are working on.

We made our way back to the hotel and Tay exhibited how we were all feeling...


It had been an emotional day of ups and downs. And hot. Except the hot was mainly just an up.


So we did what every divided (college sports wise anyway) family would do - ordered pizza and ate it in the room while watching SEC football. And I will have you know the only football team I cheer for that actually won that day was LSU.

And they did so after I fell asleep at 8:30pm.

Coincidence? You decide...

As for me, I'm thinking it just wasn't my day. The sports world had been turned upside down. However, if Minnesota's loss on Monday is any indication, said world is now right side up and thriving. :-)

0 comments: