Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In Which There is a Greased Pig

A couple of weeks ago our church was invited to Top Hand Cowboy Church, where our pastor's son-in-law is on staff, for a night of down home fun. Now you can imagine my sadness at the irony that my man had to work that evening. Seemed right up his alley.

I was particularly mourning that fact when our pastor requested that Dave join him in the greased pig contest. Oh yes, friends, you read that correctly. I would have paid good money (and a lot of it) to see Dave run after a pig. Though - in all fairness - I'm not all that certain he wouldn't have tried to put a rope on it and ride because, as we all know, he's bounced his head during a few falls off of a bull in the past.

But I digress...

Anyway, because I also uploaded my pics in reverse order, you're getting dessert first because here is the moment of victory - when Brazos Meadows claimed the "W" in the greased pig contest. It wasn't much of a fight, honestly, because our team was so ON IT but you can bet I did some hollering. And that I immediately sent my husband a text to let him know what he'd missed.

Because I'm thoughtful like that...


Of course, there was also also mutton bustin' because who goes to the trouble of putting their boots on if you won't have a chance to see precious children cling to the side of a sheep. Side note: if Dave had taken lessons from these kiddos, he wouldn't have fallen nearly as often...



On of my favorite moments was watching my girl run around like a chicken with her head cut off (perhaps that analogy isn't appropriate given this setting?) as she tried to retrieve a ribbon off of the tail of a goat. She wasn't successful but, boy, did she have a good time trying.

I do believe this was called the Goat Scramble. I also believe Dave would pass out if he knew I had to explain the difference in a sheep and a goat to our daughter on the way to said event.



Side note: where in the world did the kid get those long legs? I'm both impressed and jealous. I also have nothing to do with that particular gene, which you know if you've met me in person.


The music and devotion was absolutely amazing. And God sure put on a show with the sunset that evening as well. These pictures made me think I should get out of the house a bit more to enjoy His handiwork. I mean, His splendor is certainly not on display on the television set - for the most part - so I'm making an effort to disconnect from that activity a bit more...





Because I'm her mother (aka uncool) the girl went on a mule ride with her friends from GA's. In fact, I'm so uncool that I didn't even realize it until I saw her riding away. Good thing I keep my camera handy. It's also a good thing she doesn't realize just how many pictures I take of her when she's not looking.


This, friends, is the one picture I was given permission to take. Clearly someone recently got some new glasses. I'll have you know they have rhinestone dragonflies on the sides, which is a detail that completely baffled my husband.

He's such a guy...

And I've never been more proud of a spectacle choice in my life.


There was also goat roping, which I'll have you know was quite entertaining.


It just deserved a picture, y'all.


As did they because I knew they were hours away from mutton bustin'...



...and being roped...


But I wouldn't be a good (cyber or IRL) friend if I didn't share with you the divine nature of cobbler made in a Dutch oven that was buried underneath live coals. Heaven in a bowl. Hands down.

The best part of the evening, though, was when our pastor turned around to block (did I mention he's a former football coach) other participants in the greased pig contest. I believe they were surprised by the move but also believe it was genius.

And the pig wearing a blue feather boa, which happens to be the trophy presented for a victory in that particular contest, made my heart so happy it almost exploded.

The end.

0 comments: